Thursday, March 31, 2005

And they're off.....

More horsey activity for me yesterday as I attended the launch of the 2005 Irish National Hunt Festival in the gorgeous Guinness Storehouse. All roads will be leading to Punchestown for this years festival which takes place from the 26th to the 29th of April.

Horse racing has always been a favourite social occasion of mine and Punchestown especially so. The racegoers go all out when it comes to the style stakes with the boys in their dapper pinstripes and the girls with their elegant head pieces. Last night's launch was no different.

At the champagne reception were Orla Doyle from Looks 1 PR, Minister Brian Lenihan TD, Elaine Collins, soon-to-be wife of Gold Cup winning trainer Tom Taaffe, General Manager of Punchestown Dick O'Sullivan, who gave a witty speech and Rory Sheridan of Diageo, who are major sponsors this year with the €225,000 Guinness Gold Cup. Also enjoying the evening was jockey Barry Geraghty, fresh from two wins at Cheltenham.

Also to look forward to this year is the Best Dressed Ladies competition which is in association with Newbridge Silverware and always attracts a great buzz.

Later on in the evening I had dinner in Café Bar Deli on Georges Street. I'm always the last to embrace subjects of popularity and this was my first ever visit to this gastro havan. I just might read The Da Vinci Code some time this year too.

Winner of The Dubliner Best Restaurant 2005, Café Bar Deli has been a beacon of good food at great prices for sometime now, and I'm just sorry I didn't make it there earlier. Chef Kian Brady really knows his stuff. I hear owners Eoin Foyle and Jay Bourke are taking over the premises previously occupied by Bewleys on Grafton Street and are opening another CBD there next month. The more the merrier I say.

Question of the day: Which famous Irish actor is currently being harrassed (dare I say stalked?) by his ex-girlfriend? The bunny boiler has gotten him into trouble before and now she just won't take no for an answer.