Thursday, March 24, 2005

Hooked on Timberland

I made my second trip to the new Dundrum Shopping Centre last night and was surprised at how beautiful the place is. On my last visit there were hundreds of builders and about an inch of dust everywhere. It's nice to have a 'before' and 'after' memory.

I was back for the opening party of the fab new Timberland store on the ground floor. The night had a rugby theme to it, with RTE pundits George Hook and Brent Pope and Irish international Denis Hickie discussing the highlights of the 6 Nations tournament.

The first time I met George Hook was at the launch of the La Vallee property development in Bray, Co. Wicklow a couple of years ago. He was guest speaker at the event and entertained the guests with his witty repartee. There's more to George than rugby.

Among the assembled guests last night were presenter of The Den, Francis Boylan, model Peter Loyd, agency boss Trish Fallon and publicist Amy Buckeridge. Also there were SD favourite Kathryn Thomas and former Lansdowne rugby player Brian O'Mahony, who is off to New York soon to take up a VP position with a private bank.

Beer, hotdogs, rugby and a special 25% discount off Timberland gear - some guys didn't want to leave.

I later called into the Rubicon restaurant and met with Fergal Breen, Barry Paterson of IT Talent, colmunist Frances Winston and Jamie Plenderleith, some of who had been ensconced since lunchtime. That's what I call a boozy lunch.

Jamie and I continued on to Renards and concluded the night in Lillies, where I spotted former owner Dave Egan enjoying himself. Checking out the competition or just for old time sake?

Question of the day: Who was the female celebrity with actor George McMahon when the recent incident occured?