Monday, March 28, 2005

Winner alright, winner alright

My holiday weekend was quieter than I would have like, due to a dreadful cold which I have been suffering with. Thankfully ScreenClick.com, the online DVD rental company, ensured that it wasn't a complete bore fest.

After the requisite recuperation, I made it to Fairyhouse racecourse for the Powers Gold Label Irish Grand National, which was won by Numbersixvalverde, ridden by Ruby Walsh and backed by me!

Among the 16,000 odd punters were An Taoiseach Bertie Ahern, Minister Mary Coughlan TD, EU Commissioner and racing fan Charlie McCreevy and his lovely wife Noleen, billionaire businessman Sean Quinn, Chairman of Irish Distillers Richard Burrows and Tamso Doyle of Horse Racing Ireland.

Upon arrival I was a guest of Mary FitzGerald, who is responsible for PR at Fairyhouse. Those of you in your twenties will surely remember Mary from her days as a children's TV presenter on RTE. Thanks to Mary and her show, How Do You Do?, I knew what to do with leftover cereal boxes. These days she has swapped her tools of glitter and glue for a successful career as a marketing and PR consultant, and doesn't look a day older.

Congratulations to Vivienne Dowd from Naas, who scooped the Best Dressed Lady prize of a €1000 Carl Scarpa voucher and a €4000 trip to New York. Happy shopping Vivienne.