Thursday, February 10, 2005

A beacon in suburbia

Whenever I hear of Sandyford, I automatically think 'industrial estate'. Not anymore. Sandyford is full of swanky office blocks now, some of which designed by none other than John Rocha. Indeed, the party of last year, the launch of the gorgeous new Volvo S40, was hosted in that very office block, Beacon Court. Well, now there is a hotel to add to the collection. Owned by the ubiquitous Paul and Lisa Fitzpatrick, of the Fitzpatrick Hotels dynasty, The Beacon is the newest kid on the block. I would have thought that Dublin needs another hotel like Paris Hilton needs a Fendi handbag, but there you go.

I was unable to attend last nights launch, but am reliably informed that present and correct (and enjoying sushi) were artist and BFoB (that's Best Friend of Bono) Guggi, RTE golden boy Ryan Tubridy, TV star turned panto princess Louise Loughman and charity queen Clodagh Kean. My insider tells me The Beacon is looking pretty swish. Hop on the Luas and see for yourself.

Question of the night: Which musical pair were looking cosy in a box at last nights opening of Blood Brothers at the Gaiety?