Tuesday, November 15, 2005

London

I had a wonderful weekend in London, where I stayed with my very dear friend Rebecca Jane Higgins, in her beautiful new flat in Kensington, and hung out with her partner in crime Aysha Campion - Awwad.

As always I must let you know of some of the cool things I experienced, and don't think should be missed, should you find yourself in the U.K. capital anytime soon. On Friday night we went to Guilty Pleasures, a fantastic night in Islington, which was celebrating it's 1st birthday. It's all the music you love but may not admit to loving. Every song had the crowd going - Fleetwood Mac, Bon Jovi, The Doobie Brothers, Dolly Parton, Chas 'n Dave etc.

I spotted singer Charlotte Church and her boyfriend, rugby player Gavin Henson in the crowd. A big fan of Guilty Pleasures, Char even sang in the live karaoke, which we missed unfortunately. She is quite small in real life, but very beautiful and sweet looking. Gavin is smaller than I imagined too (for a rugby player).

At the Carling Islington Academy, this night has garnered a cult following and can only go from strength to strength. Remember School Disco? Guilty Pleasures is it's much cooler big brother.

Other places I recommend are O Satsuma for sushi in Soho and Shakespeare's Head pub on Carnaby Street for a delicious Big Ben burger. Refuel @ The Soho Hotel and LAB for cocktails. Portobello Market for amazing vintage fashion and the Borough Markets near London Bridge for food and wine. Dancing at the Shadow Lounge and, of course, no visit would be complete without dinner in Balans.