Monday, November 28, 2005

Joining the Q

Trying to secure a dinner reservation on Friday evening for Saturday night is a near impossible task, especially in a moneyed city like Dublin. We just can't wait to part with our cash in return for overpriced food in trendy surroundings. With no room at the inn, socialite Quentin Fottrell was without venue for his birthday dinner at the weekend.

Ever the helpful friend though, I managed to book a table for 10 at 8pm on a Saturday night. It's the first time I have been thankful for the 'no reservation' policy that French restaurant l'Gueuleton operates. As I waited to put my name down for a table I was made aware of my prime position of 4th in the queue (me queuing, can you imagine!). In no time at all said queue stretched the entire length of the block. It was like the Soup Nazi episode of Seinfeld.

After a quick aperitif in Brooks Hotel (did I mention they have a new screening room there?), we ate like queens in l'Geuleton. Hilary Cahill, Peter O'Grady, Alan Whelan, Caroline and Olivia Morahan and Olivia's husband Fergal Noonan, Micheál Burke and I all joined in to celebrate the joy of Quentin's birthday.

Peter was wearing the same jumper as the birthday boy, albeit in a different colour.
"The brighter one is a much smaller size", declared Peter of his one.
"Yeah, 5 years ago, maybe!" quipped Quentin.

It's not unlike Q to be witty but on Saturday night he was on fire. We rounded off our night in Renards, where I also spotted rugby player Shane Byrne, Stuart Musgrave, Glenda Gilson and Today FM's Paul Collins.


Question of the night: Whose Bentley Arnage did I spot clamped on St. William Street at the weekend?