Friday, July 22, 2005

Next generation

I got a sneak preview yesterday of the new XBox 360 from Microsoft, at a special event in the Morrison Hotel. I must admit that I'm not a big gaming afficionado, but what I saw did impress me. And I'm difficult to impress.

Hosted in the gorgeous new Printworks Gallery at the Morrison (the first event to be held there I believe), it attracted key figures from the gaming, online and technology sector who were eager to find out more about the new piece of kit. Among them were Fergal Breen from Irish Dev, Nicola Watkins, Micheál Burke of BT Ireland and Sarah Devitt.

No details were discussed of pricing or a release date but I can reveal that the new XBox 360 will be capable of doing a whole lot more than it's predecessor. Actually that's all I can 'reveal' as I don't think Microsoft wish to unload all their secret bells and whistles just yet, but if you are interested than read all about it here. Security at the event was tighter than Joan Rivers' face.


Best Irish Film - evah!

Jameson recently announced the results of their exhaustive Best Irish Film poll, which was conducted in association with The Dubliner magazine. The winner was The Commitments, as voted by the public. Jameson hosted a special screening of the popular movie on Wednesday night, al fresco at Meeting House Square in Temple Bar. Big Brother's Ray Shah, Niall McCrudden, Olivia Morahan and Trevor White were among the brightly lit faces in the audience.