Thursday, July 14, 2005

Make mine a double

One of the world's best burbons has arrived in Ireland and was launched at a delightful party on Wednesday evening. Woodford Reserve Kentucky Burbon made it's country debut at the luxurious No. 10 Ormonde Quay, at a reception hosted by Chris Morris, master distiller. Straight up or on the rocks, whatever way you like it.

As a 'small batch' distiller, each bottle of Woodford Reserve goes through a rigorous, time consuming process that ensures that only the best is peoduct is made and subsequently brought to us here in Ireland through Edward Dillon & Company.

Guest were treated to a whisky tasting, where we sampled five different brands, to compare them to Woodford Reserve. I'm not a big whisky drinker but even I could tell the difference as Woodford's luxurious taste engulfed me. As I never use a spitoon when tasting, I was a little bit more than light headed afterward (I'm sure you saw that coming 5 miles away!).

Not to worry though, the delicious food at the cocktail reception afterwards stopped me from falling over the edge. Enjoying the evening were Alan Crowley of Edward Dillon, Thomás Clancy, Ernie Whalley of Food & Wine Magazine, Romy Carroll, Lisa McDonald and Caroline Sleiman.

Later on that evening I tripped over to Eddie Irvine's trendy bar, Cocoon, where top model Gail Kaneswaren was hosting her regular Wednesday night event, Curve. A great mix of cocktails and funky music to brighten up your mid-week. As if you even needed an excuse to go out!