Thursday, May 19, 2005

From the Eurovision Song Contest in Kiev

The pressure is on

The delegations had their first official dress rehersal last night. It's strange because you would think that each performer can only get better with each rehersal but some were miserable last night. Our own entrants, Donna & Joe, performed really well though.

The last time I'd seen them perform Love? was at the final of You're A Star and I must say that their routine has evolved and is 100 times better than what it was then. They will have one more dress rehersal today before the big show tonight and I must say I'm confident that we can secure one of the 10 places to get us into the final on Saturday.

Later on last night I had dinner with TV presenter Alan Hughes and the Eurovision song composer Karl Broderick, who is happy with how things are progressing. I was delighted to hear also that Karl has landed a recording contract with Religion Music, the new record company that was set up by former BMG boss Freddie Middleton.

We attended the Serbia & Montenegro party in the Euroclub last night. Their entry, a boyband called No Name, performed a lively set, much to the delight of the guests. It's strange whenever I see a famous Eurovision person receive loads of attention. Obviously they are celebrities in their own countries but they are just a regular Joe Public to me.

By all accounts the best delegation party so far has been that of the UK, where Javine put on a super show. The Euroclub was packed and the free booze was flowing on Wednesday night, with some guests not getting to bed till 6am.

I'm off to see the final dress rehersal now. It's Donna & Joe's last practice run and hopefully they will sail through to the final on Saturday.

The weather here is amazing - not what I expected at all. Even poor Marty Whelan has been burnt by the sun!