Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Celebrity karaoke

After the Bourjois party in the Morrison I had a not-so-hectic day, so decided to unwind with a few alfesco drinks in the Bailey with my good friend Deborah Allen. Earlier in the afternoon I had received communication that Mr. Pussy's legendary drag show was moving from Bruxelles while the place was being renovated. Pussy's new home was to be the trendy Plu Bar at exclusive hotspot Renards.

Suitably lubricated we ventured down where we met a posse of familiar faces including PR guru Sinead Ryan and her beau Malachy Geelan, socialite Richard Kavanagh, theatre festival director Bea Kelliher and columnist Fran Winston. I thought I spotted Colin Farrell but it turned out that it was look-a-like brother Eamon.

Before the show I ventured out for a breath of fresh air and who should I see only Farrell again. He's either omni-present or I've had one bottle of Moet too many, I thought. Oh, hang on, it is Colin. Looking more down-at-heel cowboy than Hollywood mega-star, La Farrell is still sporting his facial hair and pony tailed do. Looking tanned after his recent holiday in the Bahamas, he was wearing a check shirt and jeans.

As the night wore on, and after an impromptu duet by Kavanagh and Geelan, the crowd got into the full swing of the hilarious show. Colin and his party seemed to be enjoying themselves, with the camp innuendo flying faster than the speed of light bouncing from Pussy's diamonté jewellery.

The fabulous cabaret singer Ann Bushnell then took to the stage and belted out a few numbers much to the joy of all. Then, out of the blue, the bold Colin decides to join Ms. Bushnell and together they give us a rendition of Neil Diamond's Love on the Rocks. Was Colin trying to tell us something?

I can report that he is a much better singer than he has led us to believe. Last year he contributed to the soundtrack of the movie Intermission with a roaring version of I Fought the Law which didn't exactly set the music world alight.

To rapturous applause he was then persuaded to perform an encore and sang a Frank Sinatra number before retiring his vocal chords for the evening. After dancing into the night I made good my leave to be in top form for the races the next day. I can't say the same for Colin ....