Wednesday, January 05, 2005

It's all quiet

The champagne corks have been popped, the canapés eaten and the good cheer is a distant memory. The festive season is over for another year. Although some people, and retailers in particular, insist on the '12 Days of Christmas' maxim, I must admit I'm not one of them and yearn for a return to normality.

It's quiet on the social scene. Party people are nursing hangovers and are exhausted after all the dancing, and who would blame them? I have always said that this time of year is perfect for a big launch party. Alas.

On hand to cheer me up last night was my ever-ready friend Sinead Ryan, who regaled me of her seasonal activities, and vice versa. Sinead spent NY with sister Afrik and about 38 other close friends in the rural sourrounds of Andrew Rudd's family estate. No worries about loud music there.

Question of the day: Which well-known wealthy publisher was spotted in Tesco Baggot Street stocking up on half price selection boxes?!