Thursday, May 18, 2006

Designs on Chocolate and Football

Mid-week on the Dublin social scene is always busy, and Wednesday was no exception. There were a plethora of events and parties across the capital but as I have not yet mastered the art of omnipresence, I picked the best 3 and went along to them. First port of call was the gorgeous new gastro empire that is Fallon & Byrne on Exchequer Street. This place has everything - a wonderful food hall with a juice bar on the ground floor, an amazing wine cellar and a promising restaurant on the first level.


My mission, however, was on the top floor (it's a big building). After climbing the big old staircase (I discovered later that there was an elevator) I was greeted by the vision of models bearing gifts - chocolate to be precise. The champagne party was hosted by Lindt chocolate and the guests were encouraged to meet Lindt's master chocolatier Stefan Moyart. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to meet the man of the moment as he was constantly surrounded by a crowd of girls. However, I now know the real way to a girl’s heart.


Among those attending I spotted another Master, master tailor Louis Copeland, looking dapper as ever; Roisin Ni Mhordha was in great form, as always, and was accompanied by her good pal Viv Maguire; Paul Trainer with Laura Mannion, who is off to sail yachts around the Caribbean for the summer and Andrew Rudd popped in with TV presenter Kathryn Thomas, who stayed briefly before rushing off to her Style event which she was hosting in Cocoon in aid of the charity Respect.


I had to rush off too as my good pal (and FM104 colleague) Fergal Breen and I were late for the Habitat / House and Home Student Designer of the Year Awards, which were taking place in the flagship Habitat store on Dame Street. I just missed the presentation but am delighted to inform you that the winner was Karen Morgan from Thomastown, who attends the Crafts Council of Ireland Pottery Skills Course in Kilkenny. She was chosen out of nearly 200 entries submitted from design students nationwide and designed a contemporary pestle and mortar, which reflects her interpretation of the theme ‘city life'.


While there I met up with socialites Norman Pratt, Avril Collins and Tamara Gervasoni and together we ventured over to Robbie Fox’s club Renards, where he was hosting a party to celebrate the revamped Renards Sports Bar. I’m not a massive football fan, in fact I’m not a football fan at all, but the atmosphere was pretty electric as the guests enjoyed the UEFA Championship Final on the plasma screens that dot the place. Robbie was in super form as were Michael O’Doherty and actor James (Jimmy) Nesbitt, who’s in town filming at the moment.


Not wanting to take up valuable room for real footie fans we made a hasty retreat after a few Heinos and I headed home to enjoy my Lindt goodie bag. Give me chocolate any day.