Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Brunching & Lunching

Last Friday I was lucky enough to kick start my weekend (more about that later) with a pleasant brunch in l’Ecrivain with none other than Loyd Grossman. Famous for his many TV shows, range of high end foods and sauces and his intellect, the inimitable Loyd is the perfect person to have at a table, or indeed entertaining a room.


I previously dined with him in The Merrion last year, on one of the hottest days of the year. He must have a knack for bringing good weather with him as every time he is in Ireland the sun shines. Friday was no exception.


His new range of chutneys have recently been launched here in Ireland and are a roaring success, as are his pasta sauces and soups, so publicist Tara O’Connor informed me. I believe her. I use them all regularly. I just hope Loyd believed me too instead of thinking I was some sort of sycophant. There were plenty of those in the room already, as one restaurant critic pushed his way through a crowd so that he could be seated next to the Master Chef.


Among those I spotted at the brunch (which went on till well after lunch) were Debbie O’Donnell of TV3 with Sybil Mulcahy, who is in full bloom of pregnancy and looks great. Writer and broadcaster Quentil Fottrell chatted with Ernie Whalley, Mary Irwine enjoyed the morning with Karen Koster and Triona McCarthy swapped beauty tips with former Prudence Beauty Ed. Declan Leavy.


Another lunch I attended recently was hosted by Edward Dillon & Co., importers of fine beverages. My kind of people.


They are celebrating the launch of Amarula, South Africa's premium cream liqueur, and their 'Afternoon with Amarula' at Bijou Bistro, Rathgar, was indeed a great way to spend an afternoon. The event featured Amarula delicacies including desserts as well as Amarula Cocktails and coffees. Only for the coffee I can tell you we’d all have been to Amarula (and back).


Jazz Duo, David and Josh, provided some chilled out music to help guests such as the beautiful Roberta Rowat, stylist Cathy O'Connor, Triona McCarthy (she’s a popular girl), young up and coming models Colm Farrell and Emily O'Donnell and many others relax and enjoy the lazy afternoon.


It’s a shame every morning and afternoon couldn’t be like my evenings.