Thursday, February 02, 2006

Pole Position

When I received the gilt edged invitation from none other than Peter J. Stringfellow I sent my RSVP right way. This invite was much awaited and coveted alike! The opening of his new Stringfellows lap dancing club has caused sure a furore over the past months that my curiosity, and that of many others, had been well and truly whetted.

There was a champagne reception (my fourth in as many days) for select members of the press and media, who were given the opportunity to ogle, sorry, I mean look at the girls before the official opening of the club. After my friend Corinna Field and I battled our way through the hordes of protestors we felt immediately safer inside the darkened hallows. Although, truth be told, the protestors were more the "Down With That Sort of Thing" Father Ted type!

The decor is quite dark, with plenty of use made of chandeliers, leopard print upholstery and gold framing. Plasma TV screens are well positions, so you won't miss a thing as you down your €15 glass of brandy.

We got chatting to two dancers who were most pleasant and wanted to know where we would recommend they visit while staying in Dublin. I advised as best I could and guessed correctly that they were more interested in the Guinness Storehouse than the Book of Kells.

After the paparazzi had gotten their shots and the excitement died down (although I'm not sure if the excitement did die down) I spotted Ray Senior of ShowBiz Ireland, TV presenter Alan Hughes and Jonathan McCrea. Also, Sarah McInerney and her boyfriend Dave, singer Hazel Kaneswaren and columnist Jason O'Callaghan, who, in his new blacked out Range Rover, perfectly fits the bill of a Stringfellow patron - that's somebody with lots of money.