Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Town & Country

I found myself in the depths of Wicklow at the weekend, foraging for mushrooms no less. I was accompanying my friend, restaurant critic for the Sunday Business Post, Ross Golden - Bannon for the trek to identify edible mushrooms from poisonous ones. Apparently it's the most dangerous sport in Europe. Pick a deadly mushroom, eat it and die. It doesn't get more dangerous than that I guess.

The event was organised by 'Big' Bill O'Dea, who is probably Ireland's leading mycophagist (that's someone who has an interest in eating mushrooms). We hunted in the extensive forests and brought back our swag, most of which was not for consumption. We cooked up what we could and after a delicious lunch in Avondale House I learned more than I ever need to know about mushrooms.

Much amusement was had by all (hey, Bill's a fun guy), and while my knowledge of mushrooms is not extensive as a result, I now know the difference between a Chanterelle and a Destroying Angel. Check out Bill's other mushroom hunts at www.mushroomstuff.com.

On the way home I popped in to see the new Harvey Nichols department store at Dundrum Town Centre. It's quite impressive but a little on the small side. I spotted Emma Crisp and Elaine 'Pinky' Pinkster enjoying glasses of champagne in the bar. Emma had the latest addition to her family with her, baby Milo. It's good to instill good taste at an early age.

The official launch event happens tomorrow night so I'll update you on proceedings accordingly. Rumour has it that special guests include Jay Kay from Jamiroquai, the Geldof girls (Peaches, Pixie etc.) and, not surprisingly, Milo Crisp.