Monday, January 04, 2010

Happy New Year!

(Pic by DA Roeireizen)


Well that was fun, wasn’t it? It’s been a rollercoaster year (decade?) with more downs than ups. It was a grand year for social activity with the tally of 162 events reported on (down from 198 the previous year), but tight budgets were evident and some hosts aren’t as flahulach as they used to be. Perhaps this coming year will be worse, who knows?

I attended a function last month where the guest speaker was John Beggs, Chief Economist with AIB. I wish I could remember everything he said but one of the things that I do recall is that, appara, there is something like €12bn more on deposit in Irish banks than there was in 2007 ... €12 BILLION!

And that cash is not corporate loot either, it’s from regular savers. Consumer confidence in spending has all but disappeared and it seems that we are all just saving our money for the (uncertain) future. Now, I know I could be considered a bit of a spendthrift but I would urge you all to get out there and support your local economy. So many great businesses going under and people going bust – it’s become almost de rigueur lately.

So go on, go mad at the sale in Harvey Nichols, have a long lunch in Residence and dinner in Guilbaud’s. Treat yourself to a bottle of Champagne in Krystle or Lillies.

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow ...