Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Katy French



It has been such a rollercoaster of a week in which, ultimately, Katy French lost her battle for life. I was shocked and deeply saddened by her death, as were most of the people in Ireland.

I knew Katy a few years, we were not close nor were we very good friends, but we would meet at various parties and social gatherings and chat briefly. She always had a smile on her face and an interesting story to tell. She was bright, clever and engaging and anyone who ever met her will attest to that. Never taking herself too seriously, and with her great sense of humour (and distinctive husky laugh!), Katy was always great company.


In her short life she managed to accomplish a great deal, perhaps more that most. She utilised her celebrity status to raise mush needed funds for charity, a favourite of hers being GOAL. I remember after she returned from a humanitarian mission to Calcutta a few months ago she was full of empathy, sincerity and hope for the people she met there. Touched by her experience, Katy was full of news and had, I’m sure, a lot more work planned to do.


In an article in the Sunday Independent she wrote: “Importantly, my journey to Calcutta helped me build on my own sense of self-worth. I realised that we are all here under the eyes of God to help each other and that He doesn't require us to succeed, only to try. In so doing, little by little, bit by bit, perhaps each one of us will reach our Goal.”


The last time I met Katy was at her 24th birthday party. She looked amazing and was the belle of the ball. That’s how I will remember her. It’s still unbelievable that a week later she was gone and only a few days ago I was paying my last respects at her funeral. So much more than a model and socialite, Katy French was one of the brightest sparks in Ireland and I’m delighted to have known her.


Sadly missed, but fondly remembered.