Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Cork

I didn’t make it to the Curragh at the weekend for the Audi Day or the Budweiser Derby as I flew down to Cork for a few days. I stayed in the sumptuous Hayfield Manor Hotel (Cork’s only 5 star), which rivals the best when it comes to high levels of service and attention to detail. Dinner in Orchids restaurant at Hayfield was a gastro tour-de-force and a snip compared to similar high standard restaurants here in Dublin. I highly recommend it.


On Saturday night I was lucky enough to secure tickets to the sold out last production of Shakespeare’s The Tempest which was procuded by Corcadorca, one of the countries leading theatre groups. Directed by Pat Kiernan, the setting for the play was on the pond in the beautiful surroundings of Cork’s Fitzgerald’s Park. It was a fantastic production – alternative, adventurous and avant-garde. And made all the more special because it was outdoor.


I attended the Marquee on Sunday night for the Kanye West gig. I’d attempted to see him a couple of times in Dublin but his shows always sell out in record time, hence my trip to Cork. The show was amazing and he really got the crowd going. Contrary to reports I didn’t find him to be too arrogant and was impressed at his interaction with the audience. Unfortunately my flight back to Dublin was early on Monday morning so I couldn’t wait for Mr. West to appear at the after show party, which I believe was a late one.


Cork people are very stylish” commented my brother, when we were having a look around Brown Thomas (which is far less pretentious that it’s capital counterpart). Yes they are stylish, and friendly and polite too. Up Cork, boy.