Monday, October 17, 2005

Le Weekend

I had a busy social weekend, which kicked off with celebratory drinks on Friday evening in the penthouse Sky Bar of The Clarendon, hosted by Amy Buckeridge and Darren Thompson who announced their engagement.

The happy couple recently returned from Paris, with Amy wearing an impressive rock. Among the well-wishers were Sean Montague and Brendan Scully, Greg Canty, Deirdre Waldron and Trish Fallon of the1st Option Agency, who will be busy with the upcoming Irish heats of the Ford Supermodel contest. She was quick to point out that the age limit is 24 (dashing my hopes of landing a $500,000 modelling contract in New York).

I had lunch in the Relax Café at the new Habitat store on Saturday afternoon. It was recently reviewed by Ross Golden - Bannon in the Sunday Business Post, and I concur with his findings. Well worth a visit.

Later in the evening I was at RTE for Tubridy Tonight, the chat show hosted by Ryan Tubridy. My good friends Caroline Morahan and Pamela Flood (presenters of Off the Rails) were guests, so I was there to whoop and cheer them on. Afterwards I met Ali and Robin Campbell of UB40 in the green room (which, incidentally, isn't green), who fascinated my friend Niamh Elliott and I with tales of yore, as featured in their new autobiographical book, Blood and Fire. I would love to read the unedited version of that book.

Caroline and I then continued our night at Renards with the inimitable Quentin Fottrell and his good pal Sarah Binchy. There, I spotted former Miss World Rosanna Davison with her boyfriend James Montgomery, singer Paddy Casey and model Julian Pearson.

After just 4 hours of sleep (pity me!) I was at Phoenix Park to participate in the Irish leg of the Avon Round the World Walk for Breast Cancer. I joined special guest Orla O'Shea (last year's Rose of Tralee) and Suzanne Walsh (of Channel 4's The Salon fame) and over 1,000 others in the 5km walk which raised considerable funds for breast cancer awarness charities, which Avon generously support.

The next part of the walk starts in New York this week. Ah, New York, you know I could have landed a modelling contract there if only......