Friday, November 26, 2004

Skating on thin Ice

Rush hour traffic in Dublin is cat. That's why we missed the opening ceremony of Smithfield on Ice, but more of that later.

I made my way (slowly) to the RDS for the VIP evening of the annual Toys4BigBoys show. I love my gadgets and this event is just heaven. Among the highlights are the cars, the lads pad, penalty shootout and various innovations. I spotted DJ Hugh Scully, rugby player Denis Hickie, PR girls Eleanor Cullen and Aileen Eglington and former Taniste Dick Spring among the crowds. Check it out boys.

On then to Smithfield for the opening night of the outdoor ice skating rink. Just as we arrived Tara O'Connor infomed us that we had missed the ceremony. Lord Mayor Conaghan was leaving early, a busy guy no doubt, with no time to waste.

Unfortunately I cannot skate, but that never stops me from trying. Despite the fact that The Sunday Tribune's Roberta Gray took me in hand and helped me on my way, I still managed to fall. Twice. As I staggered off the ice, wet and embarrassed, I spyed Karla Elliott and Ray Senior (are they back together?), Marty Whelan and his children and boyband Zoo. As I settled down with a hot mulled wine I got chatting to Tamara Gervasoni, who told me she is joining the ranks of Social & Personal magazine as their Motoring Correspondent.

Also cutting up the ice were Fair City actors George McMahon (sporting sexy new glasses) and Killian O'Sullivan, while Sky News Ireland presenter Grainne Seoige took the wise option and looked on from the safety of the viewing area.