Monday, February 21, 2005

Work the camera

I got dickied up and attended the AIB PPAI Awards on Friday night in Jurys Hotel. My good friend Judith Giltinane, looking radiant in red, accompanied me to the ceremony. An annual affair, the Press Photography Association of Ireland Awards, in association with AIB, recognise the trogan work done by our photographers, who bring us the news in pictures.

As always the big names cleaned up, with The Irish Times bagging a few gongs. Indeed the main award of the night went to the young and talanted Alan Betson of The Irish Times. The Examiner's Dan Linehan won the humour catagory for the second year running.

I was surprised that the evening was again presented by news caster Sharon NĂ­ Bheolain. Last year she didn't exactly endear herself to the assembled guests by constantly screaming that she expected some respect and attention, and if my memory serves me right, she even managed a few boos from the agitated guests at the end of the night. I'm happy to report though that things went more smoothly for her this year.

Among the guests enjoying the champagne reception, 5 course meal and never ending flow of wine were AIB MD Donal Forde, Bureau Chief of The Irish Sun newspaper Ronan O'Reilly, model and weather girl Corina Grant and Marc O'Sullivan of the OSD agency.

My lady in red and I then continued on to Lillies and finally ended up in the Pod where the Cosmos went down faster than the speed of light from a flashing camera.