Monday, February 28, 2005

Social London

Just had a most enjoyable weekend in London. I always mean to spend more time there, and the fact that it's only a short flight from Dublin to London City Airport should really see me clocking up some serious frequent flyer miles.

The base for the duration was the Millenuim Hotel in Mayfair, an olde worlde meets contemporary place. I had dinner in Balans on Friday night, a popular eaterie with nice food and a great atmosphere. I'd heard about it before but never had the pleasure. I'd recommend it, if you are in the Soho area. It's rather chic.

Saturday night I dined in Brian Turner of Mayfair, which is actually part of the Millenium Hotel. Brian Turner is a well known TV celebrity chef and his fare is pretty impressive. He was even pressing the flesh in the place, which was either tacky or endearing, I couldn't decide. A visit was also paid to Shaun&Joe, a preferred club of mine.

Babylon at The Roof Gardens in Kensington was the venue for lunch on Sunday afternnon, where we were joined by good friend Henry McCullough. No sign of celebrity chefs here, but overall a better experience than that of Brian Turner. If you are ever in the area, try and pop up to see the gardens - a veritable oasis.

I'm not really interested in tourist attractions, however when Henry recommended the London Eye, I just had to see what all the fuss is about. The view is amazing and it really gives a better perspective of the layout of London. It's flatter than Angelina Jolie's stomach.