Friday, April 15, 2005

Glenda's stalker

The media are having a field day with the recent story that top model Glenda Gilson is being stalked. Glenda, who has recently reunited with boyfriend, Irish rugby captain, Brian O'Driscoll, has been terrified of late by some crazy who is obsessed by her. Hey Glenda, as long as he doesn't harm you or your sports car, who cares? You're not a bona fide celebrity until you've had a stalker - lap it up!

All this talk of Glenda and Brian (for he has recently been chosen to captain the British and Irish Lions squad) reminded me of the first time I met the pair as a couple. Actually I think it was their first public 'date'.

I was at a Justin Timberlake concert in The Point in December of 2003 with my friend, RTE journalist John O'Driscoll. Just as the show was about to begin the two vacant seats beside me were suddenly taken. I didn't take any notice of who the new arrivals were until after the first song, after which I coped it was Glenda. We exchanged pleasantries and continued bopping along to JT.

With that, John asks me: "Is that who I think it is?"
"Yeah, Glenda Gilson!", I replied.
"Who?", he says, in a puzzled way. I duely explained who she was and, with a laugh he replied "no, the guy she's with, it's Brian O'Driscoll". He then explained to me who BO'D was.

That moment I realised two things. I knew nothing about rugby and I'd never make a good showbiz journalist.

Have a good weekend y'all.